Have a Sustainable Holiday Season!
We all love the holiday season! Here’s some of our top tips for ensuring we all celebrate Sustainably!
Simplify Gift Giving
Use Secret Santa:
- Before the holiday season begins, put the names of family members/friends on separate slips of paper.
- Take turns picking one name he name you pick is your gift recipient.
- Your gift list for the adults in your family has just been shortened to one!
- Gift experiences rather than material things - create memories together!
- Craft a personal gift, homemade creations can be the exactly what you need to celebrate with your loved ones - they will appreciate the extra time and care you put in.
- Gifts of service, we can be so hung up on material things these days we don't realize how useful these types of gifts may be - gifting childcare to a parent, music lessons, household care etc can often be just what they need.
Lowering our Impact
Think "Green" if buying this season:
- Choose from recycled sources. Many individuals and small businesses have developed great products using recycled materials.
- Look for locally made gifts - supporting your community and keeping your sources known.
- Give ‘battery-free’ gifts. According to the EPA, about 40% of all battery sales occur during the holiday season. Discarded batteries are an environmental hazard.
- Reduce the size of outdoor lighting displays. Saving electricity is also a way of giving, since conserving resources benefits everyone.
- Use LED lights for house and Christmas tree lighting. LED lights use up to 95% less energy than larger, traditional holiday bulbs and last up to 100,000 hours when used indoor
- Turn off tree lights and outdoor house decorative lighting at bedtime
Let us know your top tips for Celebrating this season!!