Posted on June 18 2018
Skin Care for Sunny Weather
Post-Memorial Day weekend, sometimes you can feel stuck in a rut and start slacking in different areas of your life, especially if the weather is nice — we just want to go out and play in the sunshine all the time!
But one area of your life that you shouldn’t slack in (if at all possible) is skin care. The sun can wreak havoc on your skin, and all of us here at Babo want to support you, and your skin, during the summer. Here are some of our important tips on how you can protect yourself from the sun — while still enjoying the sunshine, of course!
Sun Protection Tips:
The most important tip, besides applying sunscreen before going out into the sun, is to remember to reapply. It is so easy to think that if you’ve applied sunscreen once, you’re all set for the rest of the day, and that just isn’t the case (as much as we all wish it were!) You should be reapplying sunscreen every two hours, and apply more often after swimming or sweating. In this case, more is almost always better. Read on for some other tips and ways to protect yourself in the summer sun.
- Apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes before going outside, to allow it to sink into your skin and start working to protect the skin
- Use an SPF of 15 or higher, but if you’re out and about in the summer sun for longer periods of time, using SPF 45 or higher is recommended
- Remember that one time when you forgot to put sunscreen on your ears and then they got burnt to a crisp? Yeah, try not to do that again! Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to sensitive areas, like your ears, nose, neck, shoulders, chest, and the tops of your feet, if you’re wearing sandals
- If you’re going swimming, try and look for a water resistant sunscreen for best effect
- Use sunscreen even if it’s cloudy — harmful UVA and UVB rays can still break through the clouds and harm your skin
- Keep newborns and babies under 6 months old out of the sun, because
Further Sun Protection Tips:
During the summer, the sun’s effect is greatest from about 10am to 2pm, so if at all possible, try to limit exposure to the sun during this time. If you have to go out in the sun, make sure to wear sunscreen and/or cover up with clothing and a wide-brimmed hat to protect your face.
The CDC has a list of sun safety tips that are perfect for summer weather. Check it out here. One of the other important factors with sunscreen is the expiration date — sunscreen does, in fact, expire, so it will be less effective if expired.
There are so many sunscreen options on the market that sometimes it can be hard to know what to pick, and what will be best for your skin. Here are some of our favorite Babo products that are perfect for the summer weather.
Our SPF 40 Fragrance Free Daily Sheer Facial Sunscreen is great to use as a daily moisturizer and/or under makeup, and is recommended for sensitive skin. It is sheer, lightweight and hypoallergenic and contains organic ingredients that help soothe and moisturize skin. It contains white tea and rosehip, jojoba oil and our very own Nutri-Soothe™ Complex.
Our SPF 30 Sheer Zinc Continuous Spray Sunscreen is ideal for sensitive skin and will protect you and your family against damaging UVA rays. It is also sweat and water resistant for 80 minutes. It is lightweight, hypoallergenic and rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
For your lips, we have a few lip tints with SPF 15 that are perfect to smooth and soften lips, as well as providing protection from the sun. Our lip tints are enriched with our Nutri-Soothe™ Complex, antioxidants and vitamins, shea butter and avocado.
For after sun care, we have a soothing aloe gel to rehydrate your skin. The aloe gel has green tea, witch hazel, eucalyptus oil and organic aloe vera juice to refresh and soothe your skin.